What is Palliative Care?
Palliative care is medical and spiritual care focused on relief of the pain, suffering and stress of advanced or chronic illness that cannot be cured. It includes emotional, social and spiritual support for the patient and caregiver. If you or your family member have chronic heart or lung disease, or certain cancers or diabetes, there may be many years of life remaining. The goal of palliative care is to make those years as comfortable and manageable as possible.
Who Provides Palliative Care?
The Palliative Care Program is a collaborative effort between Morton Plant Mease Health Care and two local hospice organizations: Gulfside Regional Hospice in Pasco County and The Hospice of the Florida Suncoast in Pinellas County. The program is provided at Mease Countryside, Mease Dunedin, Morton Plant and Morton Plant North Bay hospitals. This interdisciplinary team may include specialized physicians, nurses, social workers and chaplains. The team works together with the patient, family and the patient's physician to offer hope, empowerment and the highest quality of care.
What Are Some of the Positive Outcomes of Palliative Care?
Studies have shown that Palliative care:
- Effectively relieves pain and symptom distress
- Helps with difficult decision-making
- Helps reduce confusion, anxiety and stress for the patient and family
- Eases transitions to other care services or settings
How Does the Patient and Family Benefit?
Thanks to the advances in modern medicine, people with chronic and advanced illnesses very often can live longer and more active lives. Palliative care offers numerous benefits to you and your family including:
- Expert treatment of pain and symptoms
- Respite from the worry, anxiety and depression that often accompanies chronic illnesses
- Coordination of care among various providers and health care settings
- Clear answers and communication about the condition
- A voice in decisions about the patient's care and quality of life
- Support for the family in their caregiving role, offering advice, instruction and referral services
For More Information
Morton Plant Hospital: 727-461-8231
Mease Countryside Hospital - Mease Dunedin Hospital - Morton Plant North Bay Hospital: 727-725-6600